Lendlease and Google have signed a partnership agreement to jointly undertake the master planning, entitlement, and development of four new neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area. These new communities will be delivered over the next 15 years in the cities of San Jose, Sunnyvale and Mountain View and are estimated to have an end development value of approximately $15 billion. These new neighborhoods will be mixed-use neighborhoods and comprise more than 35 million square feet of office, residential, retail, hospitality and community development space. Under the agreement, Google will focus on the delivery of the Google office and Lendlease will be the developer, builder and owner of the residential, non Google office, retail, hospitality and community uses. The project will create approximately 20,000 new units (mix of condo, multi-family, co-living and affordable housing) to a region that is in need of residential investment. Master planning has already begun and subject to planning approval, delivery of the project should begin as early as 2021.
The Development Project Manager I, as part of a team, is responsible for the design project management of a project during the majority of its life cycle, from pursuit, through design being substantially complete, and into the period when the project’s focus has shifted to construction. The Development Project Manager I has responsibility for assisting the DPM team to manage the design team, delivering design and the financial management of the consultant contracts with an ultimate goal of managing to a known cost outcome.
- Responsible to align the design team and solution to the requirements of: the Development brief; project budget; schedule; technical program; applicable codes and standards; and the Lendlease safety, sustainability, and brand standards.
- Facilitate the interaction of the development, cost planning and construction groups to proactively define and maintain these requirements.
- Leverage the skills and knowledge of the A/E and internal teams to drive an innovative value optimized solution in developing the design solution centered on these requirements
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Ensure that the company procedures are adhered to, including Compass and PCP process
Project Leadership & Governance
- Support the Director, Development Operations to provide leadership to the project team
- Assist in establishing the project vision and ensure it is delivered
- Contribute to the Project Management element elements of LL project Governance Requirements (Compass/Oli), ensuring milestones are captured within the Project Schedule and that LL Governance requirements are adhered to at key project hold points
- Contribute to the Project Management elements of Project Control Groups
- Contribute to project RIC Papers and ensure completion of relevant DPM Packs
- Assist to manage consultant contractual requirements
- Support the Director, Development Operations to determine project management, technical services and external resources required for the project on an individual and team basis (e.g. additional services)
- Support project sustainability objectives and targets
- Collate all relevant records for statutory approvals and design verification compliance
- Lead project management disciplines, within area(s) of responsibility, to motivate and inspire the project team and promote collaboration and innovation at all levels
- Contribute to team performance and dynamics, client service, EHS and quality
- Promote open and transparent communication as appropriate to encourage understanding of all stakeholder requirements and drivers
- Collaboratively work with PM&C / delivery team to ensure the successful delivery of the project in line with all stakeholders’ expectations, communicating strategies to the team
- Manage timely delivery of specialist support services
- Assist in the development and management of the project schedule, working with the delivery team, to ensure that the overall schedule duration and contingencies fall within agreed expectations with Development
- Assist in the establishment and implementation of the project procurement strategy and refine as necessary
- Assist with the project planning and sequencing / methodology and coordination with design planning requirements
- Develop and implement project finalization process in conjunction with the delivery team
- Work with the cost planners to establish and sign-off the cost plans, for area(s) of responsibility and establish appropriate controls to achieve budget
- Review and assess progress payments and variations for consultants
- Evaluate and recommend / approval variations and EOT’s in conjunction with the delivery team
- Contribute to the completion of the Project Mobilization Toolkit and Project Execution Plan
Authority & Stakeholder Management
- Assist the Development team to prepare and implement the stakeholder management plan where applicable
- Manage and / or assist the Development team with Authorities associated with the Project including negotiation, documentation and approvals (as required)
- Maintain strong and effective bonds with the construction resources managing the Subcontractor teams
- Carry out weekly site visits (as a minimum), when GMR non-compliance are identified, actively engage with key project stakeholders to address any non-conformances
- Support the DPM team, to implement the R.O.A.D. process on the Project, including participation in reviews to identify risks and opportunities, and managing the design team to implement solutions as appropriate.
- Assist the Director, Development Operations in the application of the Lendlease Safety Management System and Global Minimum Requirements (GMRs) across the project and ensure any significant risks or major non-compliances are addressed
- Review the construction phase EHS Plan
- Assist the delivery team to ensure that the project passes the safety gates in the Go / No-Go and that any project undertaken has the relevant resources, time and budget to allow compliance with the GMRs as per the PCP EHS checklist
- Support the Construction team in making decisions that are best for the safe outcomes of the project
- Proactively participate and lend support to the delivery team in driving the IIF initiatives on the project
- In both conversion and delivery of the project ensure that risk items identified are understood, mitigated and followed through
- Support the Development Team in the preparation of a development brief and inputting into the preparation of a design brief.
- Coordinate the AE’s development of the BIM design intent model with the Lendlease BIM Execution Plan (BEP) and the requirements of the federated model.
- Coordination and management of the project design team documentation deliverables and standards – including drawing numbering systems, sheet layout, size and orientation and drawing formats.
- Ensure the cost plan and pricing for the project opportunity takes into account all necessary commitment and resourcing to ensure that the Global Minimum Requirements (GMRs) and Means & Methods are adhered to through successfully managing the ROAD process
- Where applicable, ensure that ROADs sessions are carried out at an early stage of the design process, are detailed, and design out risk where possible. Risk items that are unable to be designed out are to be captured in the ROAD process, in consultation with all available stakeholders, and managed by the PDM through the duration of the project on a periodic basis
- Ensure any residual risk from the ROAD is included in the project broad risk assessment
- Where applicable, be actively involved in ongoing ROAD Reviews and ensure that constructability issues are identified and recorded on the register for review and follow up
- Support the DPM team to manage consultant team and project stakeholders to ensure effective completion of responsibilities including project brief/PSA/scope, fees, processing claims, deliverable and / or project variations etc.
- Assist the DPM team to produce a design and authorities schedule to be integrated with procurement and delivery schedules
- Assist the DPM team to Manage the timely delivery to schedule for the concept, schematic, detailed design and design development in accordance with the overall delivery schedule and agreed project milestones
- Assist the Director, Development Operations to manage the design process through concept, schematic design, design development, detailed design and construction / delivery phases through to obtaining Development team sign-off as required
- Understand the functional requirements of the Development brief to enhance the value within the design solution
- Identify alternate construction methods and promote project engineering innovations
- Hold knowledge regarding the technical side of building and services and update knowledge banks across the business
- Act early in identifying opportunities to optimize the design and minimize abortive work across the project
- Provide strong design planning and design appreciation, to lead the design excellence agenda on the project
- Actively encourage design teams to explore opportunities to optimize project value, including participation in reviews and workshops
- Assist DPM team in managing completion of the building cost plan / agreed contract sum for the project with the cost planning team: in line with industry benchmarks, the LOA, risk profile and operational or budgetary framework;
- Identify any potential variations or budget overrun and develop mitigation strategies.
- Manage the design to the cost plan, including working with the Development, Design and Cost Planning team to evaluate design options and alternative solutions
General Background and Minimum Requirements
- Must have Bachelor or Master’s degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Industrial Technology or a related Quantity Surveying/Construction Economics degree
- 5-10 years of professional experience in mixed-use, mid and high-rise residential, or office project design or design management with at least 3 years working for real estate developer/ owner or design build contractor
- Ability to use tools to review Revit, Photoshop, In Design, AutoCAD seen as a benefit
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively through drawings, presentations and in writing. Strong graphic presentation skills.
- Knowledge of residential architectural design, layout of residential floorplans, MEP & Structural plans and systems, and materials to carryout design intent.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, juggle and prioritize multiple projects and adjust work accordingly, often against tight deadlines
- Leadership capabilities with ability to manage design teams on mixed use or large projects.
Key Capability Listing
- Develops customer relationships; maintains Lendlease’s reputation for strong customer relationships on operational and delivery issues; understands and responds to customer needs
- Works collaboratively; actively engages across different business units to facilitate knowledge and opportunity sharing.
- Sets clear performance expectations to ensure that all team members are aware and accountable for their contribution
- Partners to achieve shared ownership; manages tasks and activities to deliver outcomes and appropriately escalate potential risks
- Understands and applies best practices and effectively leverages technology
- Adopts strong governance disciplines and manages issues, risk and opportunities effectively
- Drives a safety first culture and plans project activity to ensure compliance with health and safety policies and standards; delivers sustainability outcomes
- Is influential in steering discussions to achieve desired outcomes; keeps key influencers informed about changes or issues and seeks their support on possible solutions; conveys confidence and credibility
- Builds commitment and engagement and seeks endorsement of ideas and initiatives from key stakeholders.
Standard Office Environment 80% of time
Travel Required 20% of time
Lifting Required % of time
Continuous Standing % of time
Exposure to Chemicals % of time
Exposure to Loud Noises % of time
Others (describe) % of time
Lendlease is all about creating places where people feel comfortable in their environment, allowing us all to be the best we can be. We have long upheld the values of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – no matter who our people are, where they are from, or what their beliefs are. A diverse and inclusive workplace not only means people feel valued and accepted, it helps build a better, stronger and more innovative Lendlease.
Committed to advancing Equity, Diversity & Inclusion within our workforce, our Americas CEO, Denis Hickey, is a signatory of CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion™, the largest CEO-driven business commitment to advance diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
At Lendlease, we are committed to building a better tomorrow, where everyone feels welcome, valued, and respected. #diversity
Lendlease is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Please Click Here for an explanation of your Equal Employment Opportunity rights.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Lendlease Job Applicant Privacy Notice for California Residents
Please click on the link to view the Lendlease Privacy Notice for California Residents
We are an E-Verify Participant: English & Spanish