Rene Cazenave Apartments is located on Block 11A of San Francisco’s Transbay Redevelopment Area. The development was awarded to a joint team of BRIDGE Housing and California Housing Partnership through a competitive selection process in 2008. The 120 units of permanently affordable supportive housing serves a diverse resident group of formerly chronically homeless individuals who have physical and mental disabilities. Onsite services include: healthcare, educational and job counseling and substance abuse counseling.
Key Design Features:
- Solar Thermal and Photovoltaic systems for electricity and hot water generation.
- Separate Grey Water plumbing system for future city distribution system
- Storm water management system with green roof
- Day-lighting in all Offices and Residential Corridors
- Indoor Air Quality provided through filtered fresh air and healthy materials.
- Green Point Rated score of 187
- Retail lines the Folsom Street frontage along with new Street Trees and unit pavers.
- Building articulation reflects the units and reduces the bulk
- Entry Courtyard provides a transition from the street to the interior day-lit service spaces.
- Unique vertical post tensioned concrete shear walls reduce size of walls and offer more resiliency.
- Service offices are located off a daylight indoor passage that activates the shared ground floor common facilities.
Key Financial Information:
- $33 Million Construction Cost
- $50 Million Total Project Cost
- Funding Included City of San Francisco former RDA, AHP, Fed 9% Tax Credits, and MHP
- Ground Lease on the land
- Rents on each unit is approximately $375 per month
Key Team Members:
- BRIDGE Housing Robert Stevenson, CHP Michael Chao co-developers. CHP will continue to operate the development.
- LMS Architects Richard Stacy and Saida Sullivan Architects
- Cahill Contractors
- Tipping Mar Structural Engineers
- Ajmani & Pamidi MEP Engineers
- Gary Strang Landscape Architects
- Luk & Associates Civil Engineers
- And a host of others not listed here!
Authored by: Fred Pollack, Van Meter Williams Pollack LLP