A Technical Assistance Panel (TAP) is an opportunity to receive objective, high-level analysis from senior-level real estate and land use experts who are not normally available for hire.
Here are some quotes from past TAP clients and panelists on the experience:
The ULI SF TAP provided valuable input from a panel of leading experts on a complex site that has remained as vacant land while development has occurred around it. While keeping in mind the community’s needs and the sensitivity surrounding future development, along with considering the site’s future potential, the panel did an amazing job in analyzing the challenges and providing imperative advice and recommendations for the City to consider.
– Hazel L. Wetherford, Economic Development Director, City of Dublin (Client for the Dublin SCS Property TAP, 2021)
Through ULI SF’s TAPs program, an inventive experienced panel crafted a place-based toolkit to meet housing goals, advance resilience, and match the diverse needs and resources of city residents.
– Karen Alschuler FAICP, Principal at Perkins&Will (TAP Chair for Petaluma Housing Opportunities TAP, 2020)
We welcome the insights of the ULI panel experts on an innovative, sustainable approach to our parking policies. It is imperative that on behalf of our residents and business community, we find cost-effective parking solutions while progressing to our climate and development growth goals.
– Sam Liccardo, Mayor, City of San Jose (Client for the San Jose Parking TAP, 2020)
The ULI SF Technical Assistance Panel program delivers ULI’s core value of bringing together leaders from across land use and real estate sectors to collaborate, exchange best practices, and serve community needs.
– Steve Chamberlin, Founder, Chamberlin Associates (TAP Panelist for the Morgan Hill TAP, 2020)
On behalf of the City of Napa, working with ULI through the TAP process was a rewarding experience. The caliber of the panelists and their expert advice yielded innovative yet pragmatic recommendations, and a strategic direction to move forward with tangible next steps. I would highly recommend a TAP to any city addressing a complex issue related to land use, real estate, and the built environment.
– Robin Schabes, Economic Development Division Manager, City of Napa (TAP Client for Napa Obxbow District Place Branding TAP, 2018)
The TAP is one of the most impactful offerings of ULI’s District Councils. Today’s complex issues shaping the built environment – sustainability, placemaking, resilience and equitable development – cannot be addressed in a vacuum. The TAP offers local communities an integrated, interdisciplinary team approach to tough problems and result in objective, action oriented recommendations that catalyze long term positive change.
– Jim Heid, Founder, UrbanGreen (TAP Chair for Napa Obxbow District Place Branding TAP, 2018)
The ULI TAP is a great opportunity for all that are involved. The City benefits from having a group of experts that bring a new perspective. The panelists draw on their extensive work with other communities and provide examples of best practices. I learned a lot by participating in the Dublin TAP. The quick, collaborative process inspired me to develop new ways to approach city building. The experience influences the way I approach stakeholder engagement.
– Jane Lin, AIA, Founding Partner, Urban Field Studio, (Panelist for Downtown Dublin Retail District TAP, 2018)
Aside from their enthusiasm, the Panel provided a formidable, multi-disciplinary array of talent. The City was fortunate to benefit from their independent perspective and wealth of technical knowledge and professional experience they brought to the issue at hand. We look forward to using the TAP report as a springboard to very important and exciting community discussions regarding the City’s future.
I would strongly recommend ULI’s TAP Program to my peers and colleagues facing complex land use issues.
– John A. Swiecki, Community Development Director, City of Brisbane (Concord TAP, 2014)