Same Neighborhoods, More Homes: Bring on the Accessory Dwelling Units
ULI San Francisco is a proud sponsor of UC Berkeley’s forthcoming Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) study, “Unblocking the Market for Accessory Dwelling Units: Lessons Learned from Portland, Seattle and Vancouver”. This study examines the impact of various policy reforms and programs on expanding the production of accessory dwelling units. Using three case study sites – Seattle, WA, Portland, OR and Vancouver BC – will examine why some reforms have spurred more ADU construction than others, and identify best practices for other regions seeking to increase this type of housing development in their communities.
Following the presentation of UC Berkeley Case Study, a response panel will focus on cutting edge aspects of implementing ADU construction in the Bay Area. The state and local leaders of the ADU movement will share insights on topics including:
- How new state laws will further reduce barriers.
- How local governments are making changes to facilitate ADU approval processing.
- Lessons learned implementing ADUs in multi-family unit buildings.
- How single family home owners are individually adding to expanded capacity throughout the Bay Area.
- The potential ADUs have for expanding capacity to address housing affordability to relieve pressure on market rate developers.
- How ADU construction is being financed.
Micah Weinberg, President, Bay Area Council Economic Institute
Carol Berg, Housing and Community Development Manager, City of Santa Cruz
Karen Chapple, UC Berkeley
Carol Galante, Terner Center for Housing Innovation, UC Berkeley
Ben Metcalf, Director of Department of Housing and Community
Yat-Pang Au, CEO and Founder, Veritas Investments
5:00-5:15 – Registration
5:15-5:30 – Introduction + Opening Remarks by Carol Galante
5:30-6:15 – UC Berkeley Study Presentation
6:15-7:00 – Response Panel
7:00-7:30 – Q&A
7:30-8:00 – Networking Reception
Member / Non Member
Private Sector $45/ $60
Public & Nonprofit $40 / $55
YLG $35 / $50
Students $25/ $35
* Registration closes on 4/17. There will be a $10 fee for on-site registration.
* Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze sponsors are eligible to use sponsor tickets for this event, please contact email@example.com to register.
*Discounts available for members of partner organizations: Bay Area Council (BAC), the San Francisco Housing Coalition (SFHAC), and SPUR. Please contact Julie Luu for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
* For press inquiries please contact Virginia Rocha.
*Refunds can be made up to 48 hours in advance.