Resilient, Sustainable Cities from the ‘Neighborhood Up’: Low-Carbon Districts and Communities
As cities undergo the biggest growth of the past 100 years, significant investments are being made to build and revitalize neighborhoods and commercial districts. With rapid growth, however, often comes an expanding equity gap in terms of income, education and health. While neighborhoods offer some of the most complex challenges facing city makers today, they also provide an opportunity to test scaleable solutions. By collaborating on neighborhood level sustainable development projects, property owners, businesses, and residents are able to accelerate investments toward increased equity, resilience and climate protection. Can neighborhood-scale innovations bridge the gap between our current urban infrastructure and the low-carbon cities of the future?
Join us for a session with pioneers in district and neighborhood-scale urban regeneration and resilience. Hear from these leading thinkers and doers on:
- How district frameworks such as EcoDistricts foster the cross-sector and community engagement that is needed to deliver low-carbon and less resource intensive districts.
- How sustainability and regeneration can be implemented at the district scale, using local and national examples.
- The funding mechanisms and local governance strategies that can be used to deliver resilient districts, such as Green Benefit Districts.
- The new EcoDistricts Certification and Accreditation process, including how to evaluate performance metrics around energy, water, and social equity to create custom community strategies.
Sandy Mendler, Principal, Mithun
Eric Corey Freed, Chief Community Officer, EcoDistricts
Lisa Fisher, Urban Planner, San Francisco Planning Department, Citywide Division, Sustainable City Team
Toral Patel, Stewardship Program Manager, Build Public
5:00-5:30 – Registration
5:30-6:30 – Panel Discussion
6:30-6:45 – Q&A
6:45-7:30 – Reception
Member / Non Member
Private Sector $25/ $35
YLG $20 / $30
Public & Nonprofit $20 / $30
Students $15/ $20
Thank you to Mithun for hosting this event!
This program is eligible for 1.25 CM Credits.
10% discount off the non-member price is available for members of partner organizations: APA, SPUR, and USGBC. Please contact Julie Luu with ULIsf for details.
* Registration closes on 1/25. There will be a $10 fee for on-site registration.
* Platinum, Gold, and Silver sponsors are eligible to use sponsor tickets at this event.
*Refunds can be made up to 48 hours in advance.