Associate, ULI San Francisco
The Urban Land Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit research and education organization supported by its members. Founded in 1936, the Institute has more than 45,000 members worldwide representing the entire spectrum of land use and real estate development disciplines working in private enterprise and public service.
ULI district councils deliver the Institute’s mission at the local level by providing members with education, networking, and opportunities to give back to the community. With over 2,100 members across the Bay Area, ULI San Francisco (ULI SF) represents one of the Institute’s largest district councils and is the preeminent local organization focused on creating and sustaining communities through wise land use, development, and redevelopment decisions.
The closely knit and high-performing team of five people works directly with our members, who include high-level business professionals, public officials, corporate executives, and senior members of the real estate and land use community, to help facilitate and move the needle on issues that are of the most importance to ULI SF.
As a part of the district council team, the Associate serves as a liaison among ULI headquarters, district council staff, ULI San Francisco members, and ULI San Francisco sponsor firms. The Associate is often the first point of contact for the organization, so it is imperative that she or he be courteous and professional. Strong candidates for this position will be highly organized, detail-oriented, obsessed with accuracy, effective multitaskers, and able to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
The ULI SF team is currently working in a hybrid environment, with employees spending one to two days a week in person at our San Francisco office. Attendance in person at our office and at events will be required. All ULI staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The Associate is tasked with supporting the Executive Director (ED) and district council staff in administrative support, committee coordination, event execution, district council finances, and sponsorship.
Administrative, Communications, and Operations Support
The Associate works closely with the ED and district council staff to ensure smooth operations of the district council, including the following activities:
- Managing and responding to phone and email inquiries from the main ULI San Francisco phone line and
- Coordinating weekly staff
- Updating internal program and events
- Updating ULI SF website as
- Using ULI database and reporting software to produce reports for the ED and other staff as
- Assisting the Executive Director in producing meeting materials for the Executive Board and other key meetings.
- Maintaining and ordering office
- Coordinating with remote ULI IT staff and IT contractors to troubleshoot and resolve IT
- Creating email newsletters, e-blasts, blog posts, and the district council annual impact report.
- Updating ULI SF website and posting to social media
General Committee Coordination and Event Support
Support member committees in the development and implementation of topical industry, thought leadership, and professional development content. Tasks include the following:
- Coordinating various committee meetings including scheduling, preparing agendas, and taking meeting
- Assisting committees in producing and implementing events and
- Preparing committee budget templates and tracking program
- For in-person events, formatting and printing on-site registration forms, badges, and other materials for
- For virtual events, coordinating all aspects of Zoom meetings and webinars.
- Assisting in event setup, execution, and breakdown as
- Assisting the Executive Director and team with event and meeting planning and logistics.
Young Leaders Group (YLG)
The Associate will coordinate ULI SF’s Young Leaders Group (YLG), which is all ULI SF members under the age of 35 (which accounts for over 25 percent of ULI SF’s total membership). Responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinate YLG Steering Committee (and subcommittees), which hold meetings and execute a variety of events, programs, and initiatives throughout the
- Attending all committee meetings and events and handling logistics before, during, and after each event (note: some evening events required).
- Implementing Young Leaders professional development programs, such as the Young Leaders Mentorship program and Development
Finance and Sponsorship
The Associate manages accounts receivable (A/R) and accounts payable (A/P) for the district council office. Tasks include the following:
- Working closely with remote ULI finance team to ensure timely payment of monthly bills, vendor invoices, and
- Working closely with the Executive Director and Treasurer to track monthly financial performance and resolve accounting
- Producing contracts for vendors and contractors.
- Supporting the Executive Director in annual and Housing the Bay sponsorship efforts.
- One to four years of related
- Prior experience in program or event planning
- Demonstrated interest in land use and urban development
- Familiarity with Bay Area real estate and land use industry a
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple responsibilities concurrently with responsible follow-
- Excellent professional oral and written communication and interpersonal
- Ability to work with business and public-sector
- Self-motivated, demonstrating meticulous attention to both details and
- Fluent/proficient computer skills and strong aptitude with computer software for applications in word processing (Microsoft Office), spreadsheets (Excel), and social media are required. Design skills (Adobe Creative Suite) and website software (WordPress and basic HTML) a bonus.
- Ability to attend ULI events (in the early morning or evening) throughout the
- Ability to lift 30 pounds is
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant
To apply, please follow the link below. Please submit a résumé and a cover letter describing your interest in and suitability for the role.
ULI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
EOE/m/f/d/v. No relocation reimbursement is offered at this time.